Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why Kate should have been the one electromagnetically sucked down the hole (that's what she said?)



When it comes to Lost, I have always hated Jack. I mean, he's pretty much constantly being a whiny little bitch. But slowly, the honor of most-hated character shifted from Jack to Kate. I love Sawyer, so when he liked Kate, I liked her. But then, something went horribly, horribly wrong. She started acting like just as much of emo kid as Jack. And went crazy.

Needless to say, I was really happy when Sawyer moved on to Juliet, who is probably one of the only mildly normal people on the island, and Kate and Jack were left to emo-out and scream to the Lost-heavens 'whhhhy don't you love me?'

So, with all this pent up Kate-hate, I was really thrilled to discover that I can now hate the arrogant, self-important actress that plays her too, Evangeline Lily.

Let's check out these choice quotes from her interview with Women's Health magazine, shall we?

Still, she's wary of all the hype—and dismissive of the haters who come with it. "That happens when you have a lot of good things in your life," she says with a shrug. "In high school, people wanted to find the worst in me. I was a good student, I was good at soccer, I was vice president of the student council, I was a pretty girl. It was easy for people to look at me and say 'Fuck you.' That's what happens in Hollywood. People are like, 'I want to hate you, because everyone else seems to love you.' But the reality is this: I'm a simple person who's not interested in attention and who just wants to go about her business."


But wait, there's more...

Evangeline knows just how lucky she is to have landed the part of a lifetime, but says Lost is actually a means to an end, a way to earn enough money to finance her humanitarian endeavors. (She's been doing charitable work in Rwanda for the past seven years.) "The show was a rare opportunity, but there were ulterior motives," she says. "I knew if I did this for five or six years, what it would result in. The good that I have been able to do has been worth the sacrifice. Ultimately, acting is not my passion. It's my day job."


But only if Brad is involved...

Evangeline's laissez-faire attitude has always baffled her Lost colleagues. If they initially thought her anti- Hollywood stance was a calculated maneuver in playing hard to get, they have been forced to reconsider. "They've seen that I haven't picked up on the opportunity to become a big movie star," she says. "I think they're starting to be convinced that I'm not full of shit, and this is who I really am. My producer Bryan Burk is always like, 'My God, the opportunities you have!' It frustrates him that they've given me this chance to become the next Angelina Jolie [and I haven't gone after it]. Sure, I'd love to be her, but just the [humanitarian] side."


Ok, last one, promise...

"I say no to photographs," Evangeline says. She makes no apologies: "When people take my picture, I feel like they've taken a piece of me, and I can't get that back. It's soul draining. I was getting angry. Somebody could take a picture of me from across the room and I would feel like I wanted to rip their face off."


I say, get over yourself.

Ok, wait, one more... seriously. W. T. F?

She loves to write in her spare time. Currently, she's working on her third novel, about a successful prostitute turned madam.

1 comment: